Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

February 1, 2008

The Sins of the Father

For anyone who knows me, you know there is a lot of history relating to my dad. He left my mom - my family - when I was around 11 because of stupid decisions. Most of my personal relationship stories have been impacted in one way or another because of those evens when I was so young. The biggest fear is that I will do the same thing to my family someday, followed closely by the constant thought in the back of my head that I am going to be hurt and abandoned. I think that in most cases I pushed people away from me before they had a chance to hurt me. Thankfully, God has shown me in so many ways that I am not my dad. I don't have to choose to follow in those footsteps.

I've been studying through 1 Samuel and reading about how Eli's family is going to be judged because God gave him chances to deal with the sins his sons were committing. It's intriguing how the entire family suffers and is punished because one of them is not willing to confront the sin that is right before his eyes. As followers of Christ, we all recognize there is sin in our own lives that needs to be dealt with. I think we worry so much and don't confront sin because we feel that we need to fix our own junk before worrying about someone else. The more I study Jesus, the more I see that this is not how it was supposed to be. I depend on people around me to encourage me through my struggles and not just act the part of a cheerleader when I get it right. The whole concept of living in community is becoming more real to me each day, and I see how beneficial it is for the body of Christ. I encourage anyone who might ever read this to think about how the people around you can be a support for you. I encourage you to stop hiding the sin in your life and get it out in the open. Really, that is the best way to deal with it. If we continue to hide in our closet not allowing anyone to get close, and not being willing to confess our sins to one another, we'll never become the Church as Christ intended us to be.

James 5:16

2 comments:

Angie Hensley said...

Okay, so I read this awhile back and wanted to comment on it but I didn't have time at the moment and I've not gotten around to it because I always think about it when I'm away from my computer. Such is the story of my life!

Anyways, I am really impressed that you recognize that you don't have to choose to follow in the footsteps of your dad. Recognizing that and admitting it is a step that most people in this world never take. It's much easier for generations to just let things go on as they have and to continue repeating the life and choices they have know than it is to make the decision to do something different.

I come from one of those families myself...a family that would rather live in denial to protect their 'happy and normal existence' than face the truth and deal with the sins that exist. While it's frustrating and painful to watch them make these decisions, it's also shown me how I want to be different and it has made me very adament about living a different life. A friend and I were talking recently about sins that people never confess during their lives and she said something that I had never thought of before. If people who have hurt us don't own up to it and work it out with us here on earth, they will have to face those sins in the presence of Christ when He comes again. The same goes for me and personally, I would rather get those sins confessed and worked out before that day comes.

So congrats on making the conscious decision to live a life different than your dad. That alone shows that you will never follow in his steps and that you will continue to be a wonderful father to your children.

Angie Hensley said...

Okay, so I read this awhile back and wanted to comment on it but I didn't have time at the moment and I've not gotten around to it because I always think about it when I'm away from my computer. Such is the story of my life!

Anyways, I am really impressed that you recognize that you don't have to choose to follow in the footsteps of your dad. Recognizing that and admitting it is a step that most people in this world never take. It's much easier for generations to just let things go on as they have and to continue repeating the life and choices they have know than it is to make the decision to do something different.

I come from one of those families myself...a family that would rather live in denial to protect their 'happy and normal existence' than face the truth and deal with the sins that exist. While it's frustrating and painful to watch them make these decisions, it's also shown me how I want to be different and it has made me very adament about living a different life. A friend and I were talking recently about sins that people never confess during their lives and she said something that I had never thought of before. If people who have hurt us don't own up to it and work it out with us here on earth, they will have to face those sins in the presence of Christ when He comes again. The same goes for me and personally, I would rather get those sins confessed and worked out before that day comes.

So congrats on making the conscious decision to live a life different than your dad. That alone shows that you will never follow in his steps and that you will continue to be a wonderful father to your children.