Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

March 28, 2008

Would you treat your wife this way?

Interesting thoughts lately about Christianity in general and how we choose to follow or not follow Christ with our everyday actions. I talk every single week until I'm blue in the face to the youth boys about making choices that reflect our faith. So often, I wonder if it even makes a difference. The guys keep coming back though so they have to be getting something right?

Anyway, it seems so easy that if we are in love with Jesus that our actions would reflect that on a daily basis. I know in my own walk with Christ, I don't do a good job of reflecting Him, which is the case with most Christians I know. It's no wonder the world looks at people in the Church and think they are just stupid hypocrites...we are! I think a lot lately about the various blessings I ask God for when I pray. It's so easy to ignore God in the everyday life and then have absolutely no problem running to Him asking for all the latest and greatest. Why is that?

Put that in context with my marriage. I heard somewhere (I think maybe Dobson) that a sexual relationship with your wife doesn't start at 9:00 when you go to bed, it starts at 6:00 in the morning with how I talk to and treat her. It's the same with my faith. God's choosing to bless me or withhold his blessing is directly related to how I choose to follow Him the rest of the time.

The Bible is full of if/then statements like in Psalm 81:13-14 where it says, 13 "If my people would but listen to me, if Israel would follow my ways, 14 how quickly would I subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes!"or in 2 Chronicles 7:14 where it says, 14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." One turn deserves another, but so often we simply expect God to bless us. It's like, God I am here giving my self to you, I've been praying and reading my Bible for 15 minutes - why won't you bless me!? It just doesn't work that way. Christianity is about a relationship with a person and relationships take time. Draw near to God and He'll draw near to you.

0 comments: