Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

April 26, 2008

My Daughter is Beautiful

I have a really cute story to go along with why I think these videos need to be posted. It is very late on Saturday and my youth group boys meet on Wednesday nights. My daughter (Emerson) is three years old and is seriously the cutest and most amazing little girl you could ever meet. When it was time for me to go to you, she started crying actual tears telling me, "It makes me sad when you leave, stay and play with me daddy." I can't tell you how much I hated hearing that. It literally made me cry and I did stay a little longer than I should to be able to spend a few minutes with her. Luckily mom was still doing the bedtime routine when I got home so I got to snuggle a little with her and tuck her in. About 9:30, she woke up crying so my wife went downstairs to her room. Emerson was crying because she either wanted me to come down and lay with her or to be able to come up and sleep in our bed. I went down to talk to her for a few minutes and then decided to let her sleep with us.

When she got up here, she literally talked almost non-stop for the next 35-40 minutes about everything you can think of. We finally told her that it was time to be quiet and lay down and she did. A couple of minutes go by and I hear, "Daddy? Daddy?" I said, "Yeah sweetie." Then she replied, "It makes me so happy to snuggle with you, I love you!" Of course at that point, she was allowed to sleep upstairs every single night for the rest of her life if she wanted. I don't think I could have possible loved her more.

That situation got me thinking about this video I saw when I was the The Core - Youth Specialties one day training event - about the media influence on girls today. I want my daughter to grow up knowing that she is more than what the world tells her she needs to be. I will fight with my last breath before I ever let her think she has to lower her standards. The first of the two videos below is the one from the training, and the second is a rapid time shot of the process gone through during a photo shoot from the beginning to the final billboard or ad that makes it to the general public. Very interesting - Dad's have so much power over how there girls will view themselves. Please, if you have a daughter, teach her before it is too late what it means to be a Godly man, father, husband etc. If you don't, someone else will.



0 comments: