Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

May 12, 2008

I Now Pronounce You...

Weddings are always a good time, even for someone who is pretty cynical like myself. I love to see everyone dressed up and there is just something exciting in the air when everyone gets together. Although I hate to dance, I still love to be there while people are dancing and watch. Every now and then you might even find me tapping along to the beat, but still too scared to actually bust a move. I'm so pathetic that way and it's probably the one thing that my wife would change if she got the chance.
This weekend it was my sister-in-law who was in the spotlight. She's been dating this guy Ryan for a little over two years. I have to be honest, I wasn't totally sure about it when they first started dating but I really enjoy hanging out with him now. He'll definitely take good care of her. So this past Saturday they made it all official (made all what official). Inside joke. Anyway, they asked me a while back if I would perform the wedding. I am, after all, an "official pastor." I told them I would and the closer I got, the more nervous I became. Hindsight being 20/20, I know that it was really not that big a deal and I managed not to stutter or mumble my way through the ceremony.
People love all sorts of things about weddings for all sorts of reasons. I have to say that my favorite part is looking at the guys face when he sees his bride for the first time. From personal experience, there is something different about that girl when she is standing there getting ready to make that commitment to you. When I saw Sandra, my mindset sort of shifted and I loved the idea that I was going to serve as her protector. I haven't always done a good job, but that's for another post.
I was totally looking forward to seeing Ryan's face when Katie came out in full view...only this time, I got to see it from less than two feet away. It's such an awesome experience!! He was totally blown away and you could totally see it in his face. So now I can say I've done something that not too many people get to do. I got to pronounce two people as husband and wife, and it was two family members and good friends on top of that. I know they are just beginning an awesome life together and I'll make sure to pray often for them to have Jesus at the center of their relationship. It will take them to greater depths than they could imagine. Here's a pic of my daughter who was the flower girl.

0 comments: