Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

August 10, 2008

Pharisees

Why do Christians put so much effort into making sure that everyone knows all the things we DON'T agree with? It's like if we aren't out there shouting about why everything is so wrong, no one will understand that we follow Jesus or something. I've read the entire Bible and I don't really see this is an example that Jesus gives us. Possibly something we might see from the Pharisees. How about we put as much effort into showing people the reasons why it is good to follow Christ? I've even had some thoughts lately about the whole "hate the sin and love the sinner" kind of argument. It is totally true. We see Jesus talking with the woman at the well and he calls her to the carpet by telling her that she's been with all these guys, and the guy she is with now isn't her husband. Then does he go into a rant about what her life should look like if she would only follow Him? NO! His next statement is to simply go and stop doing what you're doing. He tells her it is wrong, but doesn't condemn her at all.

The funny thing is that when I see Christians put this into practice very well. I hear people talk about it and I even see people who are willing to "socialize" with people who are caught up in sin. We tend to make it a point to ensure that they know we don't approve in any way with what they are doing, but we're there for them. It feels a little too much like we put too much effort into pointing out what they did wrong and why we don't agree, rather than just being there for them. I'm certainly not great at it, but it is something that bothers me, and I hope other people will work on it with me. How about next time, we just acknowledge we messed up and keep going.

0 comments: