Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

September 21, 2008

Wrapping Up Guy Talk

Along with my other leaders, we've been taking our boys small group through a series called Guy Talk. It is a really good series that includes ten weeks of curriculum for guys and girls. I managed to enter a cheesy pick-up line contest and won so I got it for free, but you can also purchase it from www.simplyyouthministry.com They put out some really awesome stuff.

Anyway, this is ten weeks really encouraging guys to step up and by falling in love with Jesus, start to fill the roles of leadership that God has placed in them. At first, I was pretty unsure about the material itself because it's hard to tailor that kind of stuff to your particular group. Once we got into it, the guys finally started opening up. These past four weeks have been some of the most incredible sharing times I've seen with these guys. Tonight, they were actually encouraging each other and sharing ideas of how to overcome struggles with scripture study and things like that. It was a total breath of fresh air. I'm excited to try and spend more time with them and mentor them a bit. We're considering starting official accountability groups to try and help each other through the week.

Next week, we're going to start a study of David that will help encourage them to draw closer to the heart of God. I'm really excited to see what God is doing through this ministry. Tonight also marks the first time we've tried musical worship since I took over as youth pastor. The guys seemed to struggle a little bit, but the girls did great at keeping us going. Peter is really gifted at worship and is great at helping the kids learn that it is a process. He talked a bit about how he hasn't really "arrived" as a leader and hopes it is an area where he will always be learning and growing. Hopefully, they understand that and will try to do the same themselves. I feel encouraged tonight, which feels really good. Tomorrow is the start of a new day, but I trust God will keep challenging me and encouraging me also, and I hope He does the same for you.

0 comments: