Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

October 3, 2008

Really Creative...or Possibly the Next Level of Lazy


   My kids are just like most kids when it comes to cartoons.  Get them in front of a television and they will sit there for inhuman amounts of time.  It's like there is a creature inside them that can only be fed of the pretty lights and colors of a cartoon.  You can walk in front of them and ask them questions, but all you get is this awesome blank stare.  One of my daughter's favorite shows is called The Backyardigans.

   This show is pretty cool for kids.  Really, I don't know how they haven't made some sort of adult version of it yet.  There are five little characters/kids named Pablo, Uniqua, Tyrone, Austin and Tasha on the show.  Each episode, they get some creative idea of what they are going to play and through a specific genre of music, the kids pretend to go through some story or adventure together.  One I've seen has them in a horseback race where the winner is the first one to reach the Mississippi, and some have pirate adventures and things.  

   Every episode, when they finish their grand escapade, one of the kids says something like, "Hey, why don't we go to my house for some mini-muffins."  They all get excited and start running while the background changes from their imaginary story to the real neighborhood.  At first, I really thought this was a clever idea.  Now, I'm starting to second guess myself.
   I noticed it today.  Here is is about 1:30 and my son is taking a nap.  My daughter is up and it's pretty nice weather for what might be misconstrued for fall in Laramie...and here she is watching this show.  That's when it hit me and I was like, "Oh my goodness!" Here is my daughter sitting inside on the couch on a nice day watching cartoon characters have an imaginary adventure on the television.  Not only is my daughter inside on a nice day instead of playing outside, but instead of coming up with some creative game or way to entertain herself, she's watching a show about kids using their imagination to entertain themselves.  At that point, I think I realized this is really the next level of complete laziness.  

0 comments: