Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

January 1, 2010

The End

So it's 1:00 AM on the 1st of January 2010. I officially stayed awake for the changing of a year/decade which is big for me. Even though I'm only 29, I'm a little bit of what you might call a "softy" about late nights. When friends try to get together to watch movies at night, I tend to be the one snoring away in the chair who wakes up with everyone starting at him. It's a rare sight for me to be the one who gets to laugh at someone quickly attempting to wipe the drool from the corner of their mouth.

2009 brought about some pretty big changes for me. My third child (second son) Landen was born, I pretty much "recovered" from back surgery, started a new job, celebrated the first year of being a homeowner, my firstborn child turned five, seven years of marriage and I was "let go" from a job for the second time in my life. It's the job that has my mind churning the most lately.

I've known since the beginning of October that it was coming. It's not like it came as a shock or anything. The plan was to finish out the year as youth pastor at Emmaus Road Church, which came to an end as of one hour and ten minutes ago. It's bizarre to see that it is actually over and know that I'm not a youth pastor anymore. In my last newsletter, I explained that it's the only church Sandra and I have called home for our entire marriage. It's the only church any of our kids have ever known.

With all the changes taking place at Emmaus and the shift in direction, Sandra and I weren't sure that we belonged there anymore. If we were to just show up in Laramie, is this the church we'd want to be involved with? We just didn't know anymore. It isn't that Emmaus is bad either or that they are doing things wrong - just not necessarily how we would do church. Luckily there are a lot of churches out there. I view church a lot like ice cream - if you go to Baskin Robbins, there are 31 flavors but it's all still ice cream.

That being said, we have a lot to pray for. We're opting to not attend church for the next month or so and spend time in prayer. We'd love to have you pray along with us. We need to find additional sources of income. Whether that means I find another job that pays more, or Sandra starts working, we don't know. Having three kids doesn't make it too easy for Sandra to work because it would cost more for daycare and we don't want that for our kids. In the hunt for jobs, should we be looking outside Laramie? Most likely, we'll have to in order to make it work. I hate the thought of uprooting my whole life over this, and losing our first home after we're finally settled in, but I'll go where God opens the door. Then you can also pray for us to know what church to attend if we do stay in Laramie. We're open to wherever God wants us, even if that road takes us back to Emmaus.

There are probably a lot more changes coming in 2010, but I look forward to it. I don't know what God has in store for me and my family. I haven't really made any resolutions...at least not yet. I'm not sure I plan to. I've never really made any and the half-hearted attempts I did make faded away as quickly as the fireworks that celebrated the year's end. Either way, I want to wish you the best of luck in the new year and let you know I'm ready to pray for you on your journey too. Grace and Peace!!

0 comments: