Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

January 5, 2010

Goals for 2010

I've never set any real new years resolutions before. There are times when I thought I could come up with something clever that I could do, but I wouldn't tell you what it was. That way when three weeks have passed in the new year, no one would have to know that I'd already failed. With all the changes going on with the Kelly family, a lot of thoughts have been racing in my mind over what other changes I could make that would be my choice and impact things for the better. Here's a couple that I came up with.


I want to spend more quality time with my kids. When I was working full time at UW and then part time at the church, even when I got time, it usually wasn't quality. For me, this means ignoring television shows and getting off the computer and actually spending time with them. I want to sit down and listen to my kids stories and read books to them on a daily basis. I want to get one-on-one time with each of the kids regularly. They already ask me to take them on "dates" which is so fun!


One that is less measureable is for me to become less cynical. People always comment on how negative I am. Most of the time I try to convince myself that I am just being a realist and that other people just don't understand. Let's be honest though, most of the time, it makes me just look stupid and opinionated.

Another thing I wish I was better at is having friends over. Sandra and I hang out with people, but we've not been very intentional at it. My thoughts right now are that we try to intentionally have someone or some couple over every other week. I say intentional because we've been great at grabbing friends at the last minute and going out to some fast food place we can't afford. So the goal is a personal invite with a meal plan and everything! Just like we're grown ups or something.

I think the last thing I really would like to work on is my weight. At the start of this year, I'm coming in at about 335 which is ridiculous. I signed up for Weight Watchers before and it worked for a time, but then my desire to eat takes over. I just like to eat. There's no magic trick or excuse for why I'm this large. I overeat on things that taste good. I think it is finally hitting me though that most of the men on my mom's side of the family died within 15-20 years from where I am now. My uncle had a heart attack at 33 which is only 3 1/2 years away and that alone should freak me out and motivate me. I don't want someone else walking my daughter down the aisle when she gets married. I don't want someone else being her example of how a husband or father should treat her. I want my sons to have someone there to help them learn how a woman should be treated. I want to teach them what little I know about football and how to change their oil and all the things I had to learn on my own!

There has to be a goal though. I've been thinking on this one for a while and I think I want to work on losing 85 pounds this year. Just looking at that number, I am starting to wonder if I'm a little crazy. Really, this only translates to about 7 pounds a month which is how I'll be working this goal. Sandra and I are talking about ways we can get to the rec center and work out, and I've been thinking about how much I could ride my bike to work. It's those little steps that will help me to get there.

So there you have it. A few things I want to work on, and hopefully I can give you some positive updates throughout the year as I work my way through this journey. Grace and Peace

0 comments: