Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

February 22, 2010

Budget Woes Ignites Debate Over Raising Tobacco Taxes

FOXNews.com - States' Budget Woes Ignites Debate Over Raising Tobacco Taxes

   I'm not sure that raising taxes is the best solution in most cases, but I don't think I'd have a problem with this.  Smoking cigarettes is a personal choice, but there is a lot of money going toward medical care due to smoking that is unnecessary.  That is coming from a guy who is morbidly obese so take it for what it's worth.  I'm personally a fan of smoking bans too, but that's because I want to be able to take my kids bowling without having to air out their coats for a week and have them coughing for the next day and a half.

   There's an argument in here that I don't like at all in the smoking argument or any argument for that matter.  They quote someone in the article who is essentially saying that illegal activity will run rampant because measures like this "criminalize the population."  It seems foolish to me because no one would ever say we should legalize murder because it would criminalize the population.

   What do you think on the whole smoking issue?  Should we regulate where people can smoke?  Should we try and tax smoking out of existence?  Leave a comment with your thoughts.

Posted using ShareThis

0 comments: