Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

February 17, 2010

Could you give up technology/social media for Lent?

As I stated in my last post, I'm giving up soda for Lent. Would I be able to give up social media? I have seen a number of posts on Facebook from people who are going to be giving up some or all of their social media outlets over the next 40 days. Then I came across an article in The Telegraph talking about the Bishop of Liverpool who came up with the idea of a Carbon Fast. His argument was that the money saved by not using whatever form of technology could be given to people around the world less fortunate than us.

The Bishop of Oxford is Right Reverend John Pritchard and he agreed and is pushing the idea as well. Here is his quote.

"Lent is a period when we should look at how we live our lives," he said.
"Giving up chocolate is a symbol of that but giving up technology is a more
serious way of looking at the issues that face us as a global community. It is a
statement [of solidarity] with a world that does not have that ability to
communicate the way we can and a reminder to us that perhaps we may have got
beyond ourselves in terms of our own consumption of technology. We have galloped
forward so fast maybe we have out-run our global responsibility in doing that."


I'm honestly not sure that I would be able to do this. I did give up social media for a month. You can read about my experience here. That wasn't too tough though. I didn't really give much up because I still read and posted blogs...I just didn't tweet. If there was something especially funny or juicy, Sandra would always let me know about it. It's interesting to think about the fact that we might have gotten "beyond ourselves."

What about you? Do you think you could give up technology or social media for the Lenten season? What would change in your daily activities? What would be the easiest or most difficult part? Is this really a sacrificial life changing thing to do or just the cliche popular thing right now?

2 comments:

Jennifer Hamilton said...

So I'm one of those people who Matt apparently disdains that is giving up Facebook for Lent. I check FB several times a day. I like it because it helps me feel connected, which isn't always easy being a stay at home mom. It's easy to feel isolated, and the chitchat that goes back and forth on FB is a nice reminder that there are other people out there! I also appreciate it as a place to vent all the snarky little comments that pop into my head all day long. Maybe going without it for a little while will make me less sassy:)

Matt Coulter said...

Jen, as I told your husband tonight, I certainly don't disdain you for giving up Facebook! My comment was simply about the sheer number of people who were doing this -- I was surprised when I signed into FB today and saw like two dozen people who announced they were giving it up. My heart certainly wasn't judgmental or looking down on anyone for doing it. If anything, I look up to you because, in answer to your question Jon, I think it would be very difficult for me to give up social media for six and a half weeks.