Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

February 5, 2010

Discouraged Workers

Honestly, I'd never heard of this word until pretty recently. Sometime in the past year. I had an idea what it meant, but I thought I'd actually look it up, so I headed over to trusty Wikipedia. According to the site, a discouraged worker "is a person of legal employment age who is not actively seeking employment. This is usually due to the fact that an individual has given up looking or has had no success in finding a job, hence the term "discouraged." I can't imagine what someone in this type of situation might be going through. It is hard enough to be without work, but I would think it would be devastating to reach a point where you stop even trying to find a new job.

Why am I talking about discouraged workers you might ask? This morning's headline at Fox News declared that unemployment in the United States took a dip to 9.7% which is fantastic new right?! Obviously the economy is improving. The over promised stimulus is actually working out now. That's fantastic! It's perfect timing for an Obama administration that has struggled to accomplish anything thus far, and shows no signs of getting anywhere soon, don't you think?

Then you start looking at this weird little number called the "discouraged worker." Essentially, they are unemployed, but quit even trying to look. However, the Bureau of Labor Statistics doesn't count those workers as unemployed. If you know why they aren't, please let me know, because I'm not honestly sure. What I know is that in December of 2009, there were 929,000 people who fell into this category, and suddenly in January 2010, there are 1.1 million. So there are 1.1 million people who aren't employed, but are not counted in the unemployment stats. I know this has been going on for a while, but it seems that this is an easier way for Obama to show that his plans are working. As Jom Geraghty stated, "Eventually, every single Americans job will be created, saved, or discouraged under this administration's policy."

2 comments:

Matt Coulter said...

And the worse thing is: that 1.1 million is the highest number of 'discouraged' in history.

Nice work, Barry and team.

Anonymous said...

Good post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you seeking your information.