Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

February 24, 2010

Pour Some Sugar on Me

   If you know me at all, you'd know that I do not like 80's music.  I confess there are some good rock songs that came from that hopelessly lost decade of music, but it isn't for me.  I was sitting at home thinking about soda.  As I stated in my post about Lent, I chose to give up soda.  I generally drink diet Mountain Dew, so there is no major issue with sugar, but how much sugar is there in regular soda?  From the time I was in high school, I started drinking regular Dew and I drank a lot of it!

   Look at the back of the nearest can or bottle of non-diet soda.  In the regular can of soda, there are about 40 grams of sugar and obviously a 20 ounce soda will have about twice that.  How much is a gram though?  I didn't know so I set out to get an answer.  The average packet of sugar is about 4 grams, which is also the weight of a sugar cube.  The coolest thing I found is the picture below that shows how much sugar is in a regular Coke.  It really makes you think about what you're drinking.  The next time you want a drink, as yourself if you would realistically put 9 sugar cubes in a glass of water and drink it up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diet soda, how's that workin fer ya?
I'd like to see a comparison of the chemical content of diet soda.

Jon Kelly said...

Whether it is aspartame or high fructose corn syrup, neither one is natural and according to research both cause could be to blame for various diseases. I read an article I think I blogged about once where people who drank diet soda actually gained more weight than people on regular soda.