Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

March 22, 2010

The struggle with food

   Anyone who has tried to lose weight knows that the struggle with food is a hard one.  I made it my annual goal to drop about 7 pounds per month, which went really well for the first 6 or 8 weeks.  Then I took a trip to Las Vegas this month, and I basically ignored it completely which was a very bad idea.  Every month I get billed for Weight Watchers online service, but for the most part, I try to remember an idea of what food is worth and don't track it, and only use it to track my weight progress.  Another bad move! 

   The thing is that when I actually track the food I eat and make the few changes necessary to stay within my points, I do just fine.  I don't feel excessively hungry, but I still want food.  Maybe it is an addiction.  Maybe I'm a bit like Hurley on Lost and if you take a good hard look at the hidden nooks around my house, you'll find a giantic jar of Darma Initiative Ranch Dressing.  The thing for me is that if the food is there, even if it's out of sight, I know it is there and want it!  Right now, I have a jar of cashews in my desk.  I want to pull it out and eat some.  Not because I'm hungry, but just because it is there. 

   I do the same thing when I eat out.  I like food and always want to get the best bang for my buck.  I know there are others out there like me...a 6" sub at Subway would be fine, and would be more than enough to fill me up.  But it costs $4.50 and for ONLY $.50 I can get another 6 inches of food!!  Sure I could save the other half for a second meal, but will I?  Nope!  It's that mindset that needs to change, and I'm not sure how to make that happen.  I started counting actual points today.  I'm not going to worry about this week, or even if I'm going to hit my 7 pound goal for the month.  I'm only going to worry about my points for today and make sure that if it goes in my mouth, I'm writing it down in the tracker.  Let's start with day one and see where it takes me.

2 comments:

shellycoulter said...

I totally understand your struggle. I too love food and like to eat when I'm bored, which isn't good for a SAHM trying to do WW.

I am tediously tracking my points again this week...in hopes that another week doesn't go bye with no loss. Vegas and other eating-out opportunities have gotten me off the straight&narrow too!

Good luck! You can do it!

Whitney said...

You know what helps me sometimes, and I'm not kidding! . . . . windex. If I know I'm going to eat something I shouldn't, and it's in the house, I windex the hell out of it. It's kind of cathartic, actually :)