Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

April 20, 2010

Do you remember?

   Yesterday I posted a link from the newspaper for a letter to the editor about the patriotism in Gillette in honor of a young soldier killed in Afghanistan.  While I was writing it, it brought back some memories of standing at attention when the national anthem was being played.  The national anthem was always kind of a touchy thing for me.  I grew up in the military, so it really annoyed me when people showed a lack of respect by not standing or taking off their hats.

   Then I thought about the post I did about being attacked by a bird when I was a kid and thought maybe I could keep this theme going for a bit.  There are a lot of things that are different when you are a military kid, or better yet, grow up on a base.  My family loved going to the movies.  It was something we could do that was quick and easy and didn't cost much if we stayed at the base theater.  And, if you've been to a military theater, you know they always played the same things before the show started.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  "Welcome to your Army and Air Force Exchange Service theater."  They also always played the national anthem first though, and I always stood at attention with my hat off!

   Then I moved to the United States when I was about 10.  I made new friends at school and they liked movies too so naturally we went together.  The lights went out and like a good military brat, I stood at attention.  My friends just looked up at me and asked what I was doing.  I told them I was standing for the anthem...duh!  I was a pretty mortified 10 year old when they all started laughing at me.  I didn't realize that the anthem being played was exclusive to military theaters.

   Did that ever happen to you?  What did you think was normal until that day that your friends all laughed at you and opened your eyes?  It can be silly.  It can be embarrassing.  Leave a comment with your own story.  I'd love to hear it and maybe have a good laugh.

0 comments: