Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

May 27, 2010

Time to get LOST - The Finale

   I've been giving myself a few days to process the finale of Lost.  It is so hard to believe that this show has finally reached its ending.  Sandra and I got the kids down and waited excitedly for the show to start.  I've been a huge fan of this show for a long time now and would venture to say it might be the best and most creative show I've ever watched.  After seeing the finale, I have to say I think I love it even more.  Did it answer every question I had on the show?  Not a chance.  However, I think it did what Lost has always done best.

   I'm not going to give a detailed recap of the show here, but suffice it to say that the alternate reality that was woven throughout season 6 ended up being a place created by the characters who turned out to be dead.  When I watched it Sunday night, I wasn't completely sure what to think.  I wasn't angry over it, I wasn't completely satisfied with the answers I was given, I was a little sad that it was over, but I wasn't all that disappointed.  Honestly, I sort of expected to be disappointed in the ending because how do you wrap up something this detailed and just plain cool?  Then I watched the last 20 minutes of the show again two nights ago, then again last night.  Seeing it again sealed the deal for me...I officially loved it!

   The clincher for me was listening to Christian talking to his son Jack, when Jack finally realizes that he is dead.  Jack asks his dad if he is real and Christian responds that he is real, Jack is real, everything that's ever happened is real and all the people in the church are all real too.  Everything that happened on the island was real.  Some of the people in the group had died before Jack and some after, but they all needed to be there to help each other remember and then to let go.

   Lost was constantly focused on the struggles between faith and science.  Another huge theme was community.  How many times did we hear the phrase "Live together, die alone?"  The story of Lost was always about those people being on journey together.  There were amazing and often confusing stories that were a part of the journey, but ultimately, it was about the people.  It was about having hope and doing the right thing.  Each character had to face their own demons, and we saw Jack do that when he realized that there were things he could not explain, and that he had a purpose or destiny to fulfill.  He wasn't always sure what to do, or how to accomplish it, but he knew it was supposed to be done.

   The finale for me really brought that full circle.  All the characters from the show weren't there because it was only the people most important to him.  Even when they realize they are dead, they don't have to move on.  Look at Daniel Faraday/Widmore and his mom - she asks Desmond if her son has to go yet and Desmond tells her no.  Obviously, there are people who know, but choose to stay.  I liked how the format of the church scene is in conjunction with the island scene.  The entire show ends as it began with Jack's eye closing and the trees above him in conjunction with the church scene.  The alternate reality was what would have, or perhaps could have happened, had they not been "touched" by Jacob.  The church/death scene are a merging of those two realities.  Then the people from the island come together in the alternate reality and choose to live together, die alone.  It was a fantastic way to wrap it up.

   Does that mean I don't have a million questions about various things we've learned of along the way?  Absolutely not - I want to know a lot more about the Dharma Initiative, the rules as they apply to Desmond, Walt's "powers", the statue of Taweret, and a LOT more.  Lost wouldn't be Lost if they gave us all the answers.  I want to watch this series again years from now and still get into fantastic discussions with Sandra and my friends over what some of it means.  I don't want the answers.  I like the mystery because that was what defined Lost.  What did you think of the finale?  Did it answer enough questions to satisfy you, or do you feel it was a cop out that they were dead?  Please leave your comments and let me know!!




2 comments:

Jillian said...

Hey Jon, I didn't watch one episode of Lost, but your account reminds me of a show from the "80's; "Dallas". In the end, it was all just a dream.

You said: "I want to know a lot more about the Dharma Initiative, the rules as they apply to Desmond, Walt's "powers", the statue of Taweret, and a LOT more. Lost wouldn't be Lost if they gave us all the answers."

Hmm, this is a great parallel to sum up my faith walk. I say:
"I want to know a lot more about the BIble, the rules as they apply to me, the Holy Spirits' power, the statues of the Lord and a LOT more.
God wouldn't be LORD if He gave us all the answers...

Jillian said...

Hey Jon, I didn't watch one episode of Lost, but your account reminds me of a show from the "80's; "Dallas". In the end, it was all just a dream.

You said: "I want to know a lot more about the Dharma Initiative, the rules as they apply to Desmond, Walt's "powers", the statue of Taweret, and a LOT more. Lost wouldn't be Lost if they gave us all the answers."

Hmm, this is a great parallel to sum up my faith walk. I say:
"I want to know a lot more about the BIble, the rules as they apply to me, the Holy Spirits' power, the statues of the Lord and a LOT more.
God wouldn't be LORD if He gave us all the answers...