Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

July 27, 2010

My Top Android Apps

Weather Channel - This is a basic must have app.  I created a small bar across the top of my home page that shows the current temperature and the next 24 hours.  You can tap it to open up and scroll through saved cities, plus it automatically updates the weather based on your GPS location.

Facebook - It's probably a given that if you use a smartphone, you're probably using it to connect to Facebook. This app is fantastic and gives you options to directly upload pictures, check your news feed, notifications, inbox and more.  It's really easy to use and there really isn't a third party app that does as well.

Foursquare - Foursquare is a little bit like Whose Line...you earn points for "checking in" at locations you visit, but they don't really mean anything.  There are some vendors who offer prizes if you are the "mayor" which is the person who has checked in the most in the past 60 days.  It's just a fun thing to do.   Just be warned that the GPS location is not very accurate.  You might be standing in the entrance to a shop and Foursquare things you're 1000 meters away.

Kindle - I love my Kindle and definitely spend a lot more time reading now that I have one.  When Amazon finally added the Kindle app a few weeks ago, I got it immediately.  It is amazing easy to navigate and link to your existing Kindle accounts and shopping for books on it is quick and painless.  It isn't nearly as awkward as you'd expect to read on this small of a screen.  I highly recommend a Kindle AND this app.

Fox News - The Android Market had a couple third party Fox News apps, but Fox finally created their own news app this month.  I downloaded it right away and found it very easy to navigate.  You can easily access all the top news sections: US, Politics, World, etc.  There's plenty of news options, but I tend to veer toward Fox.

Robo Defense - OK, I had to throw one game in there.  I downloaded the free version of this game and played it every chance I got.  It is super fun, but your upgrades are limited in the free version.  I purchased the full version for Father's Day for $2.99 and LOVE it!  It is a great way to pass the time.

IMDB - This is the mobile version of the Internet Movie Database and gives you tons of access to the latest movie reviews, upcoming releases both on DVD/Bluray or in theaters and even uses your GPS location to provide local theater showtimes.  I love being able to look up movies and find out who was in a film so quickly and easily.

Advanced Task Killer - As far as I know (and correct me if I'm wrong), there is no task manager on Android that lets you turn off all the apps once you've started them.  I only have two I can think of off the top of my head that actually have exit buttons on the menu.  This app will let you shut them all down at once and is free.

Pandora - This is the mobile version of the popular website with probably the smartest radio you've ever used.  It uses a LOT of data though so I wouldn't recommend it unless you have the unlimited data plan. I have never hit the limit, but I believe the mobile app is also limited to 40 hours per month.  You can pay $1 to get unlimited time for the calendar month after your 40 hours, or for $36 a year, you can get unlimited time with no ads.

Android Agenda Widget - This is a nifty little widget that allows you to totally customize a widget display of your calendar.  It works with the Google calendars, corporate calendars and is not just customizable, it is super customizable and super easy.

Endomondo - This is one of the coolest free apps if you like to walk, hike, bike, etc.  Thanks to multitasking, it utilizes Google Maps in the background and tracks how far you walk, how fast you were going, your time per lap if you happen to be looping, calories burned and even the songs that were playing along your route.  Then it saves them and syncs them with the online system and can automatically post it to Facebook or Twitter.  Did I mention this app is free?!

There you have it...those are my favorite apps right now.  I'm not sure if anyone else out there reading this blog uses an Android phone or not, but if you do, please create your own list and come back here to use the Linky Tool and let other people know what is worth downloading!

2 comments:

Scott said...

You're not alone in the Android universe, Jon. Apps I use are ...

Twidroyd to keep up on Twitter. The only one I paid for. I can monitor and update from both my personal account and the one for the paper I work at.

TinyURL: For sharing web pages. Useful with Twitter especially.

Radar Now is pretty good for checking storms near you. It links into your location automatically.

FX Local News: Again, checks your location and takes you to local news. You get subtopics to choose from such as Top Stories, Living, and Politics.

Google Sky Map: This is pretty cool to use at night. Based on where you are it shows the constellations above you.

GDocs: Lets me quickly access my documents on Google.

Congress: You can keep track of the latest votes, news, and what your representatives are doing.

Fun stuff usually used by the kids: Air Horn, Hit the Penguin, and Toss It. Simple little games they enjoy.

Scott said...

You're not alone in the Android universe, Jon. Apps I use are ...

Twidroyd to keep up on Twitter. The only one I paid for. I can monitor and update from both my personal account and the one for the paper I work at.

TinyURL: For sharing web pages. Useful with Twitter especially.

Radar Now is pretty good for checking storms near you. It links into your location automatically.

FX Local News: Again, checks your location and takes you to local news. You get subtopics to choose from such as Top Stories, Living, and Politics.

Google Sky Map: This is pretty cool to use at night. Based on where you are it shows the constellations above you.

GDocs: Lets me quickly access my documents on Google.

Congress: You can keep track of the latest votes, news, and what your representatives are doing.

Fun stuff usually used by the kids: Air Horn, Hit the Penguin, and Toss It. Simple little games they enjoy.