Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

August 3, 2010

Lap Band Update

I realized this morning that it's been a while since I last updated on my progress towards lap band surgery.  One of my insurance requirements is going through six months of medically supervised weight loss.  I had been pretty excited about this opportunity to learn things and maybe lose some weight, but it has been such a let down.  Most of it is focused on preparing for surgery, rather than actually losing weight.  I've been essentially losing about a half pound per week since I started this process which was already four months ago if you can believe it!  I have done a monthly visit with a nurse practitioner and a nutritionist, a full bloodwork panel, and an EKG.  I only have two more appointments to go with the nurse and nutritionist, plus an informational meeting tonight that Sandra has to attend, a psychological evaluation next week and then it is actually time to schedule the surgery.  

I realize that the initial success with this type of surgery is very high, but over time, people run into the same issues as everyone else regarding weight loss.  They tend to slowly gain back without changing habits.  As a guy, the biggest problem is usually not what I eat, but the amount of food I eat.  I am ok with veggies, I really like a good salad and enjoy a good breakfast of whole wheat toast with peanut butter on it.  My biggest problem is that when I sit down to eat, I eat until I feel packed.  This surgery is going to force me to feel packed VERY quickly.  In the end, I still need to make sure I focus on eating the right types of foods and also getting more active.  It's scary to say that this falls on me, but they've told me that in addition to making my own changes, what my spouse does will have a huge impact on my success or failure.  I'm lucky to have Sandra at my side to help me go through all this.  I'm excited to see the results.

0 comments: