Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

October 29, 2010

Geocaching

Several weeks ago, I found an app in the Android Marketplace for geocaching.  It is actually a pretty sweet app for being free, and I have enjoyed the couple times I went on the hunt in the past, so I downloaded it.  Now, when I have a few free minutes to spare, I simply bring up the app on my phone and try to find a couple.  I'm definitely a novice a this. Here's what I know.

For someone who might not know what geocaching is, let me explain.  It's a mature version of hide and seek and not mature in the sense that your kids can't participate because it is totally family friendly.  People hide little things called a cache at random locations.  They always need to be publicly accessible and can really vary in how difficult it is to locate them.  The ones I've found have been small plastic food storage containers, fake rocks, medicine bottles, a peanut butter jar.  Really the options are limitless.  Then you can post the GPS coordinates at www.geocaching.com and you simply log those coordinates into your GPS device and go hunting.

I have taken my family on a few recent trips.  Two nights ago, I was searching for one at Washington Park with my four year old son, Braeden.  When we couldn't find it, he kept asking me if geocaches were real.  I assured him it was and that we just needed to keep searching.  Finally, we located it and he was so excited to find the "treasure."  Some of the finds have small trinkets that you trade out, and others have a notepad to sign.  There are even some that you can track online so when people trade them out, you can log onto the web and see where in the world you cache is.

It's really fun and there are a LOT of family friendly caches to search for.  It is also a great way to exercise because you do a lot of walking to find the locations.  You have to practice your sneakiness skills though because you don't want to give away the location to Muggles...which is a common term and not something I decided to use because I love Harry Potter!  I'd really encourage you to grab a GPS or download an app on your phone and give it a go.  I hope you enjoy it!! Let me know if you want to head out together sometime.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Geocaching is great fun. I'm not ashamed to say that I have done a lot of geocaching in the past, without kids. Still great fun. At one point I had found all of the caches in the Laramie area, but I'm sure that's different now. I've hidden a few too...the one closest to Laramie is 9/7/07 which is at the site of Melissa and I's wedding! Check it out if you get the chance. My "geocaching" name is Constipated Mind if you want to look that up too...enjoy, and we'll be praying for your surgery tomorrow.

Mike said...

I'm not ashamed to say that I have done quite a lot of geocaching. I'm kinda a nerd and like to see my geocaching statistics and things like that. It's fun even if you don't have kiddos, but I'm sure the kids make it even more fun. If you want to find a cache we hid, it's called 9/7/07 up by Happy Jack, and it's the site of our wedding. My geocaching name is "Constipated Mind" if you want to look that up. Happy geocaching and we'll be praying for you tomorrow.

Jon Kelly said...

Thanks Mike, I might have to check that one out after I recover a little from the surgery. I haven't hid anything yet, but I think I want to get one of those travel bugs and see where it goes. It's so much fun!

Mike said...

I'm not ashamed to say that I have done quite a lot of geocaching. I'm kinda a nerd and like to see my geocaching statistics and things like that. It's fun even if you don't have kiddos, but I'm sure the kids make it even more fun. If you want to find a cache we hid, it's called 9/7/07 up by Happy Jack, and it's the site of our wedding. My geocaching name is "Constipated Mind" if you want to look that up. Happy geocaching and we'll be praying for you tomorrow.