Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

October 20, 2010

It's a Date

That date is November 1, 2010.  That is the date I've chosen to have my Lap Band put in.  It has been such a long process to get to this point that it almost doesn't seem real.  I've been meeting with nurse practitioners and nutritionists, having physicals, phsyc evaluations, blood work and more blood work for about 7 months to finally arrive.  Now that it's here, I realize that I'm not as nervous as I expected to be.  I'm more ready to have it done and try and not die too young like so many guys in my family have. 

The only thing that keeps going through my head lately is the thought of people who think of this surgery as the easy way out.  The quick and easy way to lose weight.  It's weird because when I talk to people who have had it, it seems to be a lot of hard work.  There are so many life changes that happen immediately after surgery.  Plus, you still have to find time to work out if you want to see any significant results.  The weight won't just drop away because you have a band in place.  There are many people who have had these procedures, but four that are closely tied to me or my family somehow.  Two of those four have not been successful with weight loss.  

I suppose it is entirely possible to lose this amount of weight on your own.  You see people on Biggest Loser do it every season.  I can't afford to give up potentially months of work to go do something like that.  The guy who got voted off last night claims that he is working out at least 3-5 hours per day at home.  That's just not realistic for someone with three children ages 6 and under.  There are some advantages to having a band because working out 3 hours a day isn't really necessary.  I need to always view the band for what it is...a tool.  It is something I'm going to use to aid myself in the process of trying to lose weight.  

I'm still not sure how much I'll post about my journey in terms of pictures.  I'm sure most people who read this blog don't really want to see that.  As someone who wanted to know about the journey, I wish I had been able to find more.  I wish more people were willing to throw it all out there and be honest about how they struggled, temptation for cheating the band, how they succeeded and what they went through along the way.  Something more than just the fun stories and before/after shots available on the company websites.  I'll document it for myself either way.  If I don't end up sharing on the blog, I might still be willing to share through email if you're interested.  Just let me know.  

4 comments:

shellycoulter said...

Hey Jon ---Hard to believe the time is already here! Sounds like you have a realistic picture of what this procedure is for...a tool to help change your lifestyle! I will be praying for success physically and for the mental and physical stamina to juggle all that is on your plate with family, work, and striving for a healthier life!

Maybe you should start a seperate blog just to document this journey with the lap band. Maybe it would be easier for people to find --who are trying to research it online. Especially if you titled it something with "lap-band" in it? Just an idea. You should definitely keep a record so you can look back and see how far you've come! I know you can do it!

Praying for you!

Vanessa said...

Jon;

Wow, what a big decision. I'm happy for you that you've decided to put your health at a high priority. One of my mother's best friends had bi-pass surgery, which I realize is a different procedure, but we've talked about it extensively and she also reiterates the fact that it is a lifestyle change. Good luck with your surgery and I hope you find the success you're seeking from it!

Jon Kelly said...

You're right Shelly, a record is a must. It might be best to just start a second blog that people can find more easily. I can even do one of those Biggest Loser videos holding my pants in front of me and dropping them for the big reveal. Ok, not really.

Thanks Vanessa! It feels like it's been a long time coming because my insurance requires so much to get approval. I knew it was time with my family history. I'm sitting in my living room now looking at all three of the kids snuggling on the couch and I think they are motivation enough to take this step.

Vanessa said...

Jon;

Wow, what a big decision. I'm happy for you that you've decided to put your health at a high priority. One of my mother's best friends had bi-pass surgery, which I realize is a different procedure, but we've talked about it extensively and she also reiterates the fact that it is a lifestyle change. Good luck with your surgery and I hope you find the success you're seeking from it!