Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

October 5, 2010

Want

   Last night I was reading through the Gospels and came across John 5:6.  It says, "When Jesus saw him lying there and learned that he had been in this condition for a long time, he asked him, “Do you want to get well?”  I might have even posted about this before, I'm not sure, but this verse hit me and has been on my mind ever since.  Here is a man who has been an invalid for 38 years according to scripture, and Jesus sees him and asks if we wants to get well.  


   Why would Jesus ask that?  Wouldn't someone normally assume that if there was a problem or an issue, that you'd want it fixed.  Then I start to look at my own life and sometimes, I don't think I really want the change. It might make more sense when I think of it in the sense that of course I want whatever it is to change...but I'm not willing to go through what it takes to allow the change to happen.  When I've struggled with sin, I find it easier to just fall back on the old, "We're all sinners and we all stumble" argument, rather than learning to have self control.  When I pray about something, I know I am supposed to give it to God and trust that He will work it out for the best...then in the blink of an eye, I'm trying to fix it myself again instead of waiting on the Lord.  


   Maybe next time I need to hand something over to the Lord, or if I am struggling in the moment with my sins, I need to stop and ask myself, "Do I want to get well?"  It's one thing to say I want a change, and it is another to allow Christ to really change my heart of stone into a heart of flesh.  Sometimes it is going to be painful and scary, but it will always be worth it.

0 comments: