Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

December 31, 2010

A Year of Ups and Downs

   It is hard to believe that 2010 is about to wrap up.  This year has seemed to fly by and been so full of surprises and disappointments.  It doesn't seem that it was so long ago that I was coming up with a list of goals...things I wanted to work on throughout the year.  One of those goals was to try and lose 85 pounds.  I'll admit it from the start that it was a fairly unrealistic goal.  I don't know too many people who manage to lose that kind of weight.  It is definitely possible but it takes someone with much more discipline than I have.  Instead, I chose to go through the process to have a lap band put in.  It was a six month process to get approved and I finally had it put in on November 1.  So far, I have lost 45 pounds which is fantastic.  Right now, I can eat much more than I want to and I still struggle with the mental issues of eating too much.  I go in on the 6th to have my stomach opening restricted further. If you want to follow me and my journey, you can read about it at www.bandedgoggles.blogspot.com

   Another goal I had was spending more quality time with the kids.  I think I have done a really good job at this, although there is still room for improvement.  I make it a point to read more books with the kids, play more games, go on dates and just be there for them.  As the year continues, I find myself more and more impatient which is something I really want to work on.  I love experiences like I had last night when I chose to lay down with Emerson while she went to sleep.  I love when she tells me little stories and talks about her day and then when she is finally worn out, she will get quiet and stretch her arm up over me and just snuggle.  I know it won't be too much longer until she doesn't want me in the room anymore.  I need to cherish the moments while I can.  I took Braeden to dinner the other night and loved just hearing him tell stories about Christmas and how he loves the lights and spending time with our extended family.  Landen is such a snuggler too and I love how he still gets so excited when I come home from work and won't ever let me leave without a kiss and a squeeze.  My kids are fantastic!

   I feel like we've also done a good job at hanging out with people.  At least we make the invite and we've been able to hang out with some of our neighbors too.  I'm probably not the best person to ask about sarcasm though.  I feel like it has been toned down over the year, but I'm not sure other people would feel that way.  I want to continue working on that also because I just don't think it is healthy to be as sarcastic as I've been in the past.

   This year has been pretty crazy with lots of surprises.  We lost our home church and have yet to truly feel settled anywhere.  We had an unexpected pregnancy and ended up losing the baby.  Sandra's grandma passed away.  My grandma has had plenty of medical issues and is currently in a nursing home again (hopefully only temporarily.)  My little girl started kindergarten.  I had weight loss surgery.  I started a great new job at the University.   New friendships formed and others feel as though they have faded somewhat.  In many ways, life has proven itself more difficult than we wanted, but in other ways easier to handle.  Life continues to throw many curve balls towards us, but I don't think I would have changed anything that happened this year.  The good and the bad shape who I have become as a person and where we are going as a family.  I know 2011 will be just as exciting and I look forward to the challenges that lie ahead.  One thing I definitely want is to post more often.  I've not been good at that, but I'd like to be.  I hope you had a fantastic year!

0 comments: