Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

January 27, 2011

E-Books

I received a Kindle as a gift from my wife about a year ago. I liked the idea of a Kindle when I got one and since then, I've been able to use it in a number of formats - on my Droid X, my iPad (I didn't buy it, my work did), computer and the actual Kindle. It is such an awesome tool, not only as a reader in the various formats, but the Kindle itself is pretty awesome. The screen uses that e-ink technology and I swear it is so clear and crisp that it looks like it is actually printed. Buying books online or directly on the Kindle is super easy and since my wife likes to read them too, we share an account so that all our books can be accessed however we choose to read them. If you're looking for an older paperback book, you can probably buy it cheaper than the Kindle edition, but for newer books, it is as cheap or often less. We haven't really purchased any paper books I can think of since we got them. Today, I read the article that is copied below from www.mashable.com and it was officially announced that Kindle books are now outselling paperbacks on Amazon. I know a lot of people who are definitely not thrilled about the decline of paper books, but I am all for it. The only thing I wish were simpler was the ability to loan a book out once I've purchased it. That feature has just entered the Kindle arena and I know that as e-books continue to grow in popularity, they will revisit the policies and it will definitely get better. Take a second and read the article and leave a comment on your thoughts of e-books versus paper. Thanks for stopping by!

Kindle Books Now Outselling Paperbacks at Amazon: "





It’s official: electronic Kindle books are now outselling paperbacks on Amazon, marking a major milestone in the publishing industry.


The news was revealed in Amazon’s fourth quarter earnings report, and comes just six months after the company announced that e-books were outselling hardcovers.


In a statement, CEO Jeff Bezos said, “Last July we announced that Kindle books had passed hardcovers and predicted that Kindle would surpass paperbacks in the second quarter of this year, so this milestone has come even sooner than we expected – and it’s on top of continued growth in paperback sales.”


The company adds that for 2010, it sold 115 Kindle books for every 100 paperback books, and “three times as many Kindle books as hardcovers.” Those numbers don’t include free Kindle books, making the numbers all the more significant. The growth in e-books, as well as strong sales of the Kindle 3, helped Amazon achieve $10 billion in a single quarter for the first time in its history.


More About: amazon, e-books, Kindle

For more Media coverage:



"

0 comments: