Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

January 26, 2011

Just Like Me

   I'm reading the book Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God by Francis Chan for a small group that my family has been a part of for a number of years.  There are parts of the book so far that have been inspiring and challenging and others that I felt just fell flat.  In the last chapter I read, Chan writes:

When I read the psalms, I witness an extreme intimacy that at times seems unattainable.  I have to remind myself constantly that the psalms were written by people just like me.

   Churches told me my entire life that the Bible was written by ordinary people, but I often find myself placing them on a higher level.  After all, they were worthy enough, or close enough to God or something to actually write what became the Bible.  For some reason, I don't think of the authors of the Bible as people "just like me." Like most things in life, I can do a lot to change my relationship with God.  I can spend more time in silence, studying scripture, praying, loving, serving or many other things that will draw me closer to the heart of God.  Instead, I find it easier to make myself busy.

   This year, my wife and I decided to read through the Bible together.  We aren't actually sitting together and reading out loud or anything, but going through the same plan.  It is great to have such a consistent time with the Lord.  I take this quote to heart and realize that I control a lot in terms of my relationship with Christ.  I need to make the choices that draw me closer to His heart instead of making the excuse.  If you ever struggle like I do sometimes and wonder, "Where is God in all of this?" or "Why don't I sense Him in my life?" read that quote above again, and think of the choices you make every day.  Do you want to choose the excuse, or do you want to choose to make Jesus your life?

0 comments: