Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

January 12, 2011

Light is Near

   Sandra and I are reading through the Bible together this year using www.youversion.com  which is actually a pretty sweet Bible site.  I signed up for an account and it works seamlessly between my computer, my  Android and my iPad.  The plan we chose to go through is called OwnIt365 and it has been really good to consistently get into scripture.

   Yesterday, one of the readings was in Job chapter 17 and something stood out to me.  If you are familiar with Job's story, he was considered a righteous man and God allows Satan to temp him.  Satan can do pretty much anything short of killing Job to see if he will turn from God.  His family and livelihood is destroyed and he is struck with sickness, but never turns from God.  In all honesty, I don't understand why this type of thing happens with a loving God, but there is a lot that I can't really wrap my head around in the Bible.  A couple of verses stood out to me.

11 My days have passed, my plans are shattered.  Yet the desires of my heart 
12 turn night into day; in the face of darkness light is near.

   There have been many times where I have felt that I have been abandoned by God.  I am certainly not Job and don't have any intention of saying my life is like his.  I just know what it is to not feel that God is near.  I am inspired by Job because I know that even in the face of darkness, light is still near.  My journey of faith is not diminished simply because I don't feel God's presence.  Sometimes the answer isn't as simple as "God is in control" or "Everything happens for a reason."  I hope the desire of my heart is still to follow God, even if my plans are shattered or I feel lost in the darkness.    


   

2 comments:

Erin said...

This was great, Jon! With everything that I'm going through right now, I've been looking at Job's life as a guide to trusting God when I'm struggling. It's interesting that it was YOUR bible reading and I've been reading it, also!

Erin said...

This was great, Jon! With everything that I'm going through right now, I've been looking at Job's life as a guide to trusting God when I'm struggling. It's interesting that it was YOUR bible reading and I've been reading it, also!