Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

February 4, 2011

Heavy Hands

Anyone who is reading through a 1 year Bible plan probably came to Exodus 17 about the same time as me.  The Israelites have just escaped Egypt after all the plagues and are making their way through the desert.  Even though they cannot seem to quit complaining, God is constantly demonstrating His love to them and taking care of their needs.  Then we run into the story of Amalek who came and fought with Israel.  If the Amalekites had known what Egypt and the Pharaoh had just gone through, they might not have been so quick in this endeavor.

Moses tells his people that they need to gather men to go out and fight and that he would stand at the top of the hill and hold his staff over his head.  The next day, they battle and as long as Moses is holding the staff over his head, the Israelites find success, but when it starts to drop, the begin to lose.  Verse 11 says:
And it came to pass, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed; and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed.

Simply put, Moses was tired.  How often do we feel the weight of our families, our friends, our jobs or our situation on your shoulders?  How often do we try to hold them high in our hands and give them over to God and just get too tired to continue?  It is so easy to get discouraged, but thankfully the passage continues.  Verse 12 says:

But Moses’ hands were heavy; and they took a stone, and put it under him, and he sat thereon; and Aaron and Hur stayed up his hands, the one on the one side, and the other on the other side; And his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.

The beauty of following Jesus is that it is not something that you have to do alone.  God created us to be in community with other people and to journey through this life together.  When Moses' hands were too tired to lift up any longer, his friends stepped in and held his hands up on his behalf.  Sometimes, my hands are simply too heavy to carry the burden...In the darkest times of my life, faithful friends and family have stepped to my side and lifted them for me.  I am so grateful that I am not alone in this life. I'm thankful to all my friends and family that have helped to lift my hands when I couldn't do it on my own. 

4 comments:

Tara said...

So true! Love it.

The Enslingers said...

That was a beautiful post! So true, and one I needed to hear today. Thanks for posting this!

P.S. You and your amazing wife have helped me hold my hands up several times already! You guys are great!

Melissa said...

Agreed. Beautiful post. Words that are of great service to the soul.

The Enslingers said...

That was a beautiful post! So true, and one I needed to hear today. Thanks for posting this!

P.S. You and your amazing wife have helped me hold my hands up several times already! You guys are great!