Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

June 9, 2011

To do righteousness and justice

   I'm still plugging through my OWNit365 Bible reading plan.  I'm a little behind, but not discouraged because I understand that life happens.  I will catch up and complete the plan this year.  Today I was reading Proverbs 20 and verse 3 really struck me.  It says, "To do righteousness and justice is desired by the Lord more than sacrifice."  


   How many Christians do you know feel that they are somehow closer to God or more holy because of the things they don't do?  For years and years, I didn't drink alcohol, never swore or listened to secular music...and boy was I proud of myself.  Look at what I gave up for God!  


   The problem is that it was all about me.  Doing righteousness, doing justice...those things require me to give and act for someone or something else.  It forces me to think of others and put them first.  It forces me to set myself aside for a little bit.  I'm definitely not saying it is a bad thing to make sacrifices for the Lord, or that people aren't drawn closer to Him by making those types of choices.  I just wonder if we aren't missing what God is really calling us to do.  Are we missing what He is calling us to be?

0 comments: