Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

July 15, 2011

The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven - Kevin and Alex Malarkey

The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven: A Remarkable Account of Miracles, Angels, and Life beyond This WorldThis book is a true story about a boy named Alex Malarkey who was in a terrible car accident.  According to the x-rays, he was internally decapitated and should be dead.  Overcoming the odds, he not only survived but is making a surprising recovery and has amazing stories to tell about what happened after the accident and during his coma.  Alex went to heaven.  He was with God and the angels and was comforted and was told by God that he was going to recover.

You're probably already thinking what I thought when I first heard the description of this book.  I grew up in pretty conservative church circles where people didn't literally hear from God and spiritual warfare was little more than an idea.  People didn't really interact with angels literally...at least not anyone I knew.  I am always pretty skeptical about stories like this.  Sandra has already read it and really liked it, and I had some time so I thought I would jump in.  I'm so glad I did!

I am a Christian.  I believe that I live by faith - at least until I read stories of people who actually live by faith.  It seemed like every page or two, I was brought to tears reading not only about the faith of this family, but the outpouring of love and support they received from other Jesus followers.  I find myself inspired by a child who (at 6 years of age) seems to understand more of the nature of God than I have in my 31 years.  The book is very inspiring and I don't think you could read it without desiring to make changes in your own faith journey and walk closer to the Lord.

This book is also filled with amazing stories that will just blow your mind.  Alex was able to describe specific details and comments people made at the scene of the accident when there is no possible way for him to have heard or seen them.  A woman praying for Alex senses God telling her that there were three angels in the room tending to Alex - while a separate woman in another city has a dream and paints a picture that same night and sends it to the family.  The dream - three angels surrounding Alex and healing his neck.  The next day, a surgery to fix one of his vertebrae is cancelled because it has aligned itself.  God did so many amazing things through this whole experience to bring glory to Himself.  There is no way this is possible without it being the work of God.

I highly recommend reading this book.  It is a very quick read and is worth your time just to hear all the amazing things God did related to this boy.  It's hard to justify sometimes because it is so far outside the realm of my faith experience.  Hopefully it will challenge you like it has me to desire more.

There are scientific facts, and there is God's sovereignty.  Surrounded by prayer warriors, I was reminded of the truth that God is not controlled by what we know.  (page 59)

0 comments: